Part 2 of our interview with Jon and Jef, the hosts of System Mastery. Listen to Part 1.
- When picking games to evaluate, Jef and Jon look for unique games with something fresh to discuss, regardless of actual quality. Strange is better than ‘good’ or ‘bad.’
- Ambitious moves whether or not they work.
- Disconnects in thought between intention and implementation gives them a lot to talk about.
- One of Jef’s favorites is when designers inject a lot of their own personal opinions inappropriately.
- Kevin Siembieda, creator of Rifts, is a sweet dude and fun to talk to.
- Jon has so many opinions on Herbert Hoover.
- Their next patreon goal will move Expounded Universe to a weekly show.
- Jon and Jef have been working with the author of Strike! to develop the Blimpleggers rpg.
- They are working with James D’Amato on a game where you build the rules as you go.
- They’d also like to grow the house brand with a few more San Diego nerd podcasts produced by other people.
- They’d like to do video content, but there are significant logistical obstacles to surmount.
- The ultimate goal of any podcast is to have a pig butler, and System Mastery is no different.
- Advice: Don’t go into podcasting with any kind of monetary goal.
- Go into podcasting to produce quality content, and allow people to support you if they wish. Do it for the love of doing it.
- Find the community that wants what you’ve got.
- There’s a lot of luck involved.
- One of the weirdest things to Jef is that people now consider them experts.